Inkster and Winn keep targa record intact
Search Driven for for sale
Inkster and Ecolight Evo continue their Targa dominance
Local heroes Glenn Inkster and co-driver Spencer Winn have kept their Targa record intact with another dominant victory, this time in the two-day Targa Bambina event at Pukekohe.
The defending and now two-time Targa New Zealand event winners from Patumahoe and Howick respectively made a clean sweep of the Targa Sprint, Targa North Island and Targa New Zealand events last year, and made no race of this year's new two-day Bambina event over the weekend.
Together Inkster and Winn won nine of the 13 stages outright to lead home fellow Mitsubishi Evo driver Jason Gill and co-driver Duncan Mackenzie from Auckland's North Shore who won three of the four other stages but ended up 38 seconds behind.
Photo / Ben Hughes, ProShotz
Third overall and in the AndrewSimms.co.nz Allcomers 4WD class was the other local Mitsubishi Evo pair of Malcolm Smith and Conrad Healy from Drury.
Fourth overall and first home in the Global Security Modern 2WD class was Targa regular Clark Proctor and co-driver Sue O'Neill, Proctor's hybrid Nissan V6 turbo-engined Mk 1 Ford Escort (pictured above) the quickest 2WD Modern in eight of the 13 stages.
Second home in Global Security 2WD Modern was the Holden Torana A9X V8 of Hawera driver Ross Graham and co-driver Matthew Merwood, the pair one of four others who won stages in the class over the two days.
Popular winner, meanwhile of the Metalman Classic 2WD class and an impressive seventh overall was the 1971 Rover P6 V8 (pictured below) owned by Auckland classic car preparation specialist Mal Clark but driven by fellow Targa veteran Mark Parsons.
Photo / Ben Hughes, ProShotz
Together the pair won six of the seven stages on the first day and five of the six on Sunday. Second in Metalman Classic was former Targa NZ class winner Anton Tallott and co-driving son David in a Series 1 Mazda RX7 almost three minutes behind with fellow Aucklanders Rex McDonald and Daniel Prince third in a BMW 325i.
The two Honda Civics entered in the event by a Japanese University team ran faultlessly in the distinguished hands of former WRC and Dakar Rally class winner Kenjiro Shinozuka and co-driver Mitsuru Takagi and Masatoshi Kubo and co-driver Nagai Susumu, finishing ninth and tenth in class and 40th and 41st overall respectively.
Targa Bambina 2-Day Pukekohe March 05-06 2016
1. Glenn Inkster/Spencer Winn (2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 09) 01:14:50
2. Jason Gill/Duncan Mckenzie (2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9) 01:15:28
3. Malcolm Smith/Conrad Healy (1997 Mitsubishi Evolution IV) 01:20:01
4. Clark Proctor/Sue O'Neill (1973 Escort MK1) 01:20:18
5. Nic de Waal/Natasha Oakden (2003 Subaru Impreza WRX) 01:21:26
6. David Rogers/Aidan Kelly (2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X RS) 01:21:26
7. Malcolm Clark/Mark Parsons (1972 Rover P6B) 01:21:54
8. Ross Graham/Matthew Merwood (1977 Holden Torana) 01:22:01
9. Brian Green/Fleur Pedersen (2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X RS) 01:22:04
10. Andrew Simms/Craig Vulawalu (2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 10) 01:23:14
AndrewSimms.co.nz Allcomers 4WD
1. Glenn Inkster/Spencer Winn (2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8) 01:14:50
2. Jason Gill/Duncan Mckenzie (2005 Mitsubishi Lander Evo 9) 01:15:28
3. Malcolm Smith/Conrad Healy (1997 Mitsubishi Evo IV) 01:20:01
4. Nic de Waal/Natasha Oakden (2003 Subaru Impreza WRX) 01:21:26
5. David Rogers/Aidan Kelly (2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X RS) 01:21:26
Metalman Classic 2WD
1. Malcolm Clark/Mark Parsons (1972 Rover P6B) 01:21:54
2. Anton Tallott/David Connell (1979 Mazda RX7) 01:24:42
3. Rex McDonald/Daniel Prince (1990 BMW E30 325) 01:24:52
4. Andy Mygind/Anthony Baker (1972 Datsun 240Z) 01:25:09
5. Eddie Grooten/Ben Grooten (1978 Porsche 911 SC) 01:26:09
6. Clyde Walters/Alex Wilkinson (1965 Ford Anglia 105E) 01:30:54
Global Security Modern 2WD
1. Clark Proctor/Sue O'Neill (1973 Escort MK1) 01:20:18
2. Ross Graham/Matthew Merwood (1977 Holden Torana) 01:22:01
3. Gary Murphy/Terry Rouse (1993 BMW M3) 01:24:02
4. Tom Grooten/Andy Bowie (1983 Toyota KP 61) 01:25:51
5. Anthony & Jo Butler (1972 Holden Cheetah) 01:26:10
6. Chris Lewis/Kieran Anstis (2013 Toyota TR86) 01:26:12
Targa Bambina 2-day - Pukekohe March 05-06 2016
Targa Rotorua 2-day - Rotorua May 14-15 2016
Targa New Zealand 4-day - Taupo-Havelock North - October 12-16 2016