Rosberg takes fourth Formula One victory this season
MEXICO CITY (AP) —
Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg won the first Mexican Grand Prix since 1992 today for his fourth victory of the season.
He also gained a sliver of satisfaction in defeating teammate Lewis Hamilton, who has beaten him to the season championship the past two years.
Hamilton finished second, losing his bid to tie the Formula One record of 13 season victories. He has 10 with two races left. The victory pushed Rosberg into second place in the driver standings ahead of Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.
Rosberg started from the pole and avoided the mistakes that doomed him a week earlier in the United States. He held off Hamilton at the start, and again over the final 13 laps as Hamilton closed in.
Vettel started third but crashed on Lap 52 and didn’t finish. His race started with a punctured tire through the first turn.
1. Nico Rosberg (GER/MER) 1hr 42min 35.038sec
2. Lewis Hamilton (ENG/MER) +1.954
3. Valtteri Bottas (FIN/WIL) 14.592
4. Daniil Kvyat (RUS/RBR) 16.572
5. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS/RBR) 19.682
6. Felipe Massa (BRA/WIL) 21.493
7. Nico Hulkenberg (GER/FOR) 25.860
8. Sergio Perez (MEX/FOR) 34.343
9. Max Verstappen (NED/TOR) 35.229
10. Romain Grosjean (FRA/LOT) 37.934
11. Pastor Maldonado (VEN/LOT) 38.538
12. Marcus Ericsson (SWE/SAU) 40.180
13. Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP/TOR) 48.772
14. Jenson Button (ENG/MLA) 49.214
15. Alexander Rossi (USA/MAR) 2 laps
16. Will Stevens (ENG/MAR) 2 laps
Felipe Nasr (BRA/SAU) 14 laps
Sebastian Vettel (GER/FER) 21 laps
Kimi Raikkonen (FIN/FER) 50 laps
Fernando Alonso (ESP/MLA) 70 laps