Wimbledon says Hamilton welcome back
Search Driven for for sale
Lewis Hamilton will be invited back to sit in Wimbledon's Royal Box next year, despite the mix-up over clothing that saw him miss the men's final on Sunday.
Richard Lewis, Chief Executive of the All England Club, insisted that there were no hard feelings on either side after the Formula One world champion turned up looking insufficiently smart to sit in the famous enclosure among other celebrities and sports stars.
'We will definitely be asking him back and hopefully it will fit in with his schedule,' said Lewis. 'The problem was that we didn't have anything on hand appropriate for him to wear in what is a very high profile place.'
Lewis insisted that, far from there being some kind of stand-off, Hamilton decided the simplest course of action was to leave.
'He was apologetic and very polite. We very much hope that he will be able to come again.'
e 30-year-old, who was wearing a floral shirt, camel-coloured suede shoes and a hat, later posted a picture of himself on Instagram watching the men's final from a hospitality area inside centre court.
Earlier in the day, Hamilton had posted a photo showing his Royal Box invitation package, saying he was 'honoured' to have received it.
He wrote: 'On my way to Wimbledon to watch the final. Honoured to have been invited to watch the men's finals from the Royal Box.'
A Wimbledon spokesman said: 'If he was not adequately dressed you could infer that he would not have been let in, but we do not comment on our guests.