Home / News / Clarkson pays $209,000 to punch victim
Clarkson pays $209,000 to punch victim
By Patrick Foster • 25/02/2016
JEREMY CLARKSON has made a public apology and paid around $209,000 to the Top Gear producer he punched, to settle a personal injury and racial discrimination claim.
Oisin Tymon, who was attacked by Clarkson in a row over a lack of hot food at his hotel, brought legal proceedings against the presenter and the BBC, in November.
The producer, who suffered a split lip as a result of the assault, is understood to have been seeking a six-figure sum in damages.But under the terms of a settlement agreed in advance of an employment tribunal hearing next week, Tymon has agreed to drop the claim.
He is expected to receive a payment of between $209,000 and $313,000 from the BBC and Clarkson, with the presenter footing most of the bill.
In a statement released yesterday, Clarkson said: “I would like to say sorry, once again, to Oisin Tymon for the incident and its regrettable aftermath. I want to reiterate that none of this was in any way his fault.
“I would also like to make it clear that the abuse he has suffered since the incident is unwarranted and I am sorry, too, that he has had to go through that.
“I am pleased that this matter is now resolved. Oisin was always a creatively exciting part of Top Gear and I wish him every success with his future projects.”
The case was listed at the Central London Employment Tribunal in Holborn for a 10-day hearing, beginning on May 3, while a private hearing between the three parties had been scheduled for next Wednesday.
A BBC investigation into the attack, which led to Clarkson’s departure from the corporation, ruled that the presenter had subjected Tymon to a 30-second, unprovoked physical and verbal assault.
He is said to have called Tymon a “lazy Irish c---”, which is understood to be the basis for the racial discrimination element of the claim.
Mr Tymon’s lawyer, Paul Daniels, of Slater and Gordon, said: “The action involving Mr Tymon has been concluded. Oisin is keen to put the matter behind him now that it has been brought to a close.
“Oisin greatly appreciates all of the support he has received, including from the BBC. He remains focused on the creative work he loves at the BBC.”
Clarkson was sacked by the broadcaster in March, and is currently working on a new car show for Amazon Prime, alongside James May and Richard Hammond.
Tymon spent months off work but is now understood to have returned to work at the BBC.
A BBC spokesman said: “Oisin is a valued member of the BBC who behaved with huge integrity in dealing with the very difficult circumstances last year - a situation in which, as [director-general] Tony Hall has stated, he was completely blameless.
“We are pleased that matters have now been resolved. Oisin has made an important contribution to the BBC in his 12 years with us, and we hope to see him continue to realise his potential in his role as a development executive. We believe Oisin has a very exciting future at the BBC.”