Police: Drivers come up with some doozies but excuses don't wash
Search Driven for for sale
Police have taken a novel approach to pushing the road safety message - sharing the excuses of motorists pulled over on Saturday night and found to be under the influence of alcohol.
Waikato police were out breath testing drivers during and after the All Blacks v Lions game at Eden Park.
"I just want to share a few comments made by people stopped last night drink driving," a Waikato police officer posted on Facebook.
"It's all too common that we hear the blame being passed on to others.
"But if YOU choose to drink alcohol, and then YOU decide to get behind the wheel and drive, the responsibility for this action and any consequences that follow is on YOU, seems pretty simple to me but some of these people think otherwise."
The excuses drivers had included:
- You can't put your checkpoint on this road anyway - it's illegal.
- You're only stopping me because of my car otherwise I would be sweet.
- You're racist you're only doing this because I'm white.
- Can you hurry up I have things to do.
- Can I buy you a donut?
- Could you just give me 30 demerits instead of 50 I know you can do that.
- Thank you, would you like a Crunchie Bar.
- Well how am I supposed to get to work tomorrow now? if I lose my job it's your fault.
- It's cause I'm black aye.
- I needed to get a burger on the way home from the pub.
"Fortunately all of these people were removed from the road before they caused any harm to anyone," the officer said.