BENTLEY MULSANNE SPEED ‘BLUE TRAIN’ BY MULLINER DEBUTS AT TECHNO-CLASSICA
- Historic ‘Blue Train’ race commemorated with 85th anniversary Mulliner Limited Edition
- Mulliner artisans pay homage to famous 1930 Speed Six with bespoke features and intricate historical references
- Total of four examples to be hand-crafted in Crewe for continental European customers
- Mulsanne Speed is world’s fastest ultra-luxury driving experience
(Crewe, 15th April 2015) Bentley Motors is commemorating the historic ‘Blue Train’ race won by the Bentley Speed Six in 1930 with a Mulliner Limited Edition – the Mulsanne Speed ‘Blue Train’.
Debuting this week at the Techno-Classica show in Essen, Germany, just four examples will be hand-crafted in Crewe for customers in continental Europe.
85 years ago, Captain Woolf Barnato, Chairman of Bentley Motors and pioneering ‘Bentley Boy’, was staying in Cannes at the Carlton Hotel. He accepted a wager that not only could he beat the Calais-Mediterranée Express or ‘Blue Train’ back to Calais, but that he could be at his club in London before the train even reached the English Channel. He was, and the remarkable victory has been talked about ever since.
The ‘Blue Train’ Limited Edition is produced by the skilled craftsmen and women of Bentley’s bespoke coachbuilding division, Mulliner. Each features a number of delightful historical references and modern interpretations of design details from the original Speed Six.
For example, the fluting pattern in the door panels and the rear quarter inserts echo the interior of Barnato’s original car. The dashboard facia features an expertly crafted veneer image of the original Bentley ‘Blue Train’ Speed Six. Meanwhile, the treadplate plaques bear the wording ‘Blue Train 85 Years’ and the front grille features a square mesh design inspired by original Speed Six.
Richard Charlesworth, Head of the Bentley Heritage Collection, comments: “The Blue Train is one of the most famous and celebrated cars in the world, and it perfectly embodies the racing spirit of the Bentley. Woolf Barnato was a three-time Le Mans victor, but winning the Blue Train race captured the public’s imagination, and fuelled the legend of the Bentley Boys. By beating the Calais-Mediterranée Express he forever guaranteed the Speed Six’s place in automotive history.”
The first ‘Blue Train’ Limited Edition delivered will also feature a personalised hamper, trimmed with Burnt Oak and Camel hide to perfectly match the interior of the car. Mulliner has crafted beautiful leather cutlery holders and a leather rug wrap-around, both featuring ‘Blue Train’ embroidery. The hamper contains exclusive Robbe & Berking silver plated cutlery, Haviland Limoges porcelain crockery, LINLEY crystal champagne flutes and a 100 percent Angora picnic rug, woven in Scotland.
Robert Engstler, Regional Director Europe, added: “The fact that we are producing just four of these Limited Editions is highly significant, as Barnato famously made it to the club in London four minutes before the train arrived in Calais. The unique design elements bring back nostalgic memories of one of the most legendary Bentleys of all times.”
The Mulsanne Speed Blue Train by Mulliner can be seen at the Techno-Classica Show in Essen (Hall 7). from the 15th to the 19th of April 2015.
Mulliner – Rare by design
Mulliner exists to respond to the requirements of Bentley’s most discerning customers. Mulliner Limited Editions reflect carefully chosen and inspirational themes. Individually these might have special significance for customers in specific markets, but what they all share is the highest standards of Mulliner craftsmanship – taking the concept of Bentley luxury and pushing it even further.
Mulliner Limited Editions are rare by design and, as a result, they all have the potential to become instant classics, desired by many but driven only by a fortunate few.
Senior Communications Manager, Europe
+44 (0) 7985 425 794
Bentley Motors Ltd
Notes to editors
Bentley Mulsanne Speed ‘Blue Train’ Limited Edition by Mulliner
In addition to the standard specification of Mulsanne Speed, the Mulliner Limited Edition ‘Blue Train’ also benefits from:
- 21” Mulliner Driving Specificaiton all-black alloys with polished centre caps
- Bentley Drivers Club badge mounted on front radiator grille
- Square mesh front grille inspired by original Speed Six
- Personalised treadplates showing the silhouette of the Bentley Speed Six and ‘Blue Train 85 Years’ plaque
- Retractable Flying B with engraved wording on the base: ‘Blue Train’ and ‘85 Years’. (This is the first time Mulliner has etched on the famous Flying B.)
- Handcrafted veneer image of the original Bentley ‘Blue Train’ Speed Six built into the dashboard facia
- Fluting pattern in door panels and the rear quarter inserts reflecting the interior of the original car
- Embroidered headrests showing silhouette of the Bentley Speed Six with wording ‘Blue Train’
- Bespoke ‘Blue Train’ hamper featuring Robbe & Berking Cutlery, Haviland Limoges Crockery, LINLEY Crystal Champagne Flutes and a 100% Angora Picnic Rug, woven in Scotland (first car only)
Bentley Motors is the most sought after luxury car brand in the world. The company’s headquarters in Crewe is home to all of its operations including design, R&D, engineering and production of the company’s three model lines, Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne. The combination of fine craftsmanship, using skills that have been handed down through generations, alongside engineering expertise and cutting-edge technology is unique to UK luxury car brands such as Bentley. It is also an example of high-value British manufacturing at its best. Bentley employs around 3,700 people at Crewe.