HRH, THE DUKE OF YORK, KG MEETS BENTLEY TRAINEES AND MASTER TRAINERS
- Focus on training young people and continuous learning
- New Bentley manufacturing apprenticeship
- Crewe Engineering & Design UTC opens in September 2016
(Crewe 9th March 2015) His Royal Highness The Duke of York today visited Bentley's headquarters in Crewe to meet apprentices and find out more about Bentley's innovative approach to training young people and continuously improving the skills of Colleagues throughout their careers at Bentley.
His Royal Highness, who as Patron of the Baker Dearing Trust is a strong supporter of University Technical Colleges, also heard how Bentley is working with partners in the South Cheshire area to open Crewe Engineering & Design UTC in September 2016.
Bentley’s new manufacturing apprenticeship is based on the proven dual education model and includes competence profiles and dedicated placements with expert Master Trainers within chosen professional areas such as Bentley specialisms in wood, leather and mechatronics. Bentley also announced today that its latest apprentice intake, to start in September this year, is its biggest in 25 years, with 63 positions.
The Duke met both apprentices and Colleagues working on some of the brand new and bespoke training islands in wood, leather and engine production.
Combining theory and practical learning will also be the focus for learners at Crewe Engineering & Design UTC which will help ensure a steady pipeline of young people needed to sustain the unique skills and quality levels required to sustain Bentley’s growth plans.
Speaking about the visit, Wolfgang Dürheimer Bentley Chairman and CEO, said: “Bentley is the pinnacle of luxury and performance. To deliver on our exceptionally high standards requires a highly skilled and motivated workforce. We therefore invest in their training throughout their careers at Bentley.
“Everyone at the Crewe factory feels honoured and highly appreciative of the visit of His Royal Highness. We were delighted to demonstrate first-hand the skill our engineers, craftspeople and trainees here in Crewe possess as we prepare for the launch of the first SUV in the luxury sector, the Bentley Bentayga.”
Bentley has also recently announced its expansion plans in Crewe with a new £40million R&D centre and 300 new roles being created in engineering, manufacturing, quality, sales and marketing and project management. This is part of a wider £840 million investment plan by Bentley over three years to 2016.
– ENDS –
Corporate Communications Manager
Director of Communications
Bentley Motors Ltd
Notes to editors
- Bentley Motors is the most sought after luxury car brand in the world. The company’s headquarters in Crewe is home to all of its operations including design, R&D, engineering and production of the company’s three model lines, Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne. The combination of fine craftsmanship, using skills that have been handed down through generations, alongside engineering expertise and cutting-edge technology is unique to UK luxury car brands such as Bentley. It is also an example of high-value British manufacturing at its best. Bentley employs around 3,800 people at Crewe.
- A Royal Warrant holder, Bentley Motors is proud to have presented her Majesty The Queen with the State Bentley to mark her Golden Jubilee in 2002. Bentleys are used for many of The Queen's engagements.