Complete guide to the 64 warning lights on your dashboard
Search Driven for vehicles for sale
They are an everyday sight that could mean the difference between a smooth journey and a costly repair bill.
But many of us have no idea what the lights and symbols on our car dashboards actually mean and when to take action.
They flag up issues with the engine or can even save a driver's life in the most serious of cases - but how many do you know?
According to a new survey British survey, one in three cannot recognise which symbol is the headlamp indicator, while 27 per cent can't identify the 'check engine' sign, the study of 2,000 drivers found.
And when people do understand what the car is warning them about, very few know how to manage the problem themselves.
wo thirds of those polled have no idea how to check the oil, just under half don't know how to change a tyre and 44 per cent wouldn't have a clue how to change the windscreen wipers.
While 58 per cent have no idea what their tyre thread limit should be, when it becomes illegal, or how to check it.
Here is your handy guide to recognising what each symbol means and what you need to do about it.
1. Front fog lights turned on
2. Power steering system problems
3. Rear fog lights switched on
4. Low level of windscreen fluid
5. Worn brake pads
6. Cruise control is activated
7. Signalling direction
8. Trouble on light sensor or rain sensor
9. Winter mode
10. Info indicator
11. The diesel auxiliary heater
12. Ice warning
13. Starting system problems
14. The key is not in the car
15. Key low battery
16. Warning distance to another car
17. Indicator to push the clutch
18. Indicator to push the brake pedal
19. Locked steering-wheel
20. Long beam turned on
21. Low tyre pressure
22. Short beam on
23. Problems with headlight / taillights / signals bulbs
24. Problems with brake lights
25. Problems with the particulate filter (DPF)
26. Error - disconnection of the plug from the trailer
27. Air suspension problems
28. Warning for exceeding the lane without signaling (anti sleep system, lane assist)
29. Problems with catalyst
30. Warning for seat belt (belt is not on)
31. Warning parking light
32. Alternator or battery problems
33. Parking sensors turned on
34. Service warning light
35. Adaptive headlights turned on
36. Headlight angle
37. Problems with variable rear spoiler
38. Problems in triggering electric roof
39. Front airbag is switched off
40. Handbrake is pulled on
41. Water in fuel filter
42. Airbag switched off
43. Mechanical problem or electrical error
44. Short beam turned on
45. Dirty air filter requires replacement
46. ECO mode turned on
47. Downhill assist on
48. Cooling system problems
49. Problem with ABS
50. Problems with fuel filter
51. Open door
52. Open bonnet
53. Fuel tank on reserve, need to fill the tank
54. Automatic gearbox problems
55. Speed limiter is on
56. Suspension problems
57. Low oil pressure
58. Front window defroster
59. Open boot
60. Electronic Stability Programme is off
61. Rain sensor
62. Engine problems or hazards
63. Rear window defroster
64. The automatic windscreen wiper
Keep up to date with Driven
Sign up now to receive DRIVEN news, reviews and our favourite cars for sale straight to your inbox.
Keep up to date with Driven
Thank you, you can look forward to receiving the DRIVEN newsletter soon.