Italian and Portuguese WRC rounds postponed amid Covid-19 outbreak
Search Driven for vehicles for sale
This year’s FIA World Rally Championship is now on hold till at least mid-July with the postponement of the fifth round in Portugal (May 21-24) and the following Italian event in Sardinia (June 4-7).
The FIA have confirmed both events have been postponed as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to suspend almost all motor sport activity around the globe. The next scheduled event not yet affected by postponement is Kenya’s Safari Rally set for July 16-19.
The fourth round of the WRC in Argentina (April 23-26) had earlier been postponed.
The WRC Promoter and FIA said in a statement they continue to closely monitor the situation in affected countries due to host future rounds, as well as the home countries of WRC teams and all competitors.
"All parties will work to identify potential alternative dates for the postponed rallies later in the season should the COVID-19 situation improve, taking into consideration championship logistics, the ability of competitors to travel again and the ability of the country in question to prepare and host the WRC at such a time,” said WRC Promoter managing director Oliver Ciesla.
This year’s WRC action came to an early halt with two of the three days of competition completed in Mexico earlier this month.
Victory in Mexico saw Frenchman Sebastien Ogier became the third different winner in as many 2020 events and he moved into the championship lead with 62 points ahead of his Toyota team-mate Elfyn Evans (GB) on 54 points and Hyundai’s Thierry Neuville (Belgium) on 42.
Finnish teenager Kalle Rovanpera (Toyota) is fourth on 40 points and defending champion Ott Tanak (Estonia), who crashed his Hyundai at the opening round in Monte Carlo, is fifth on 38pts.
Toyota Gazoo Racing leads the Manufacturers’ standings with 110 points from Hyundai Motorsport on 89 and M-Sport Ford on 65 points.